So here is this camel coloured skirt Vintage Simplicity 7142. I made it to wear in winter with boots but the waistband was really bulky as I didn't grade the seam allowances and also it was too loose. The midi-length also didn't really work for me IRL, although it looks
I had some of this vintage looking cotton cream lace in stash so I chopped off a couple of inches off the length, let out the seam allowances by as much as I could, removed the despised ill-fitting waistband and replaced it with a bias bound waistband. Then I sewed the cotton lace at waistline and hem and bang. A brand new skirt that fits with fixed non-visible lining. Happiness ensues.
If I worked in an office I would have kept the skirt plain but I rather like the lace as something different.