Friday, 27 April 2012

The Dove Sorbetto #4

Dove Sorbetto

Nana used to have a grey "house dress", she wore it all the time.  In my mind, when I think of her, I always picture her wearing that dress.  When I saw this fabric at Spotlight, I had to buy it, because it is so much like the fabric of that dress.  It is a light cotton voile, dove grey, with a cream very vintage-y print.

It was perfect for a little Sorbetto variation.  I drafted a peter pan collar using Gertie's tutorial and Casey's tutorial (Casey's was useful because her picture show very clearly how to overlap the shoulder seams to ensure your collar sits round the curve of the neck properly and doesn't flip up) and added sleeves (pattern for free here), with inspiration from the Colette Violet Blouse.

The rest were my usual sorbetto changes: size 16 armholes, grading from a size 2 in the bust out to a 6 in the hips, cut the size 18 length.  Made it a blouse by not cutting the front piece on the fold and then folding back the front pleat section, interfacing it and turning it into the facings.   I also did a sloping shoulder adjustment and probably should have done a sway back adjustment but decided not to (I was thinking, enough of the fiddling with this pattern, just make it already!!).

I added little mother of pearl buttons.

I didn't have enough fabric for both sides of the collar as I squeezed this top out of 1 metre of fabric, so the underside of the collar is a ivory dupion silk that has been in my stash for a decade (old curtain) and I use it regularly as skirt linings and such.

I made this up in a heavier cotton (Sorbetto 3, really need some decent pics of that one) and it really needed darts front and back to bring it in, but this blouse didn't need the darts at all, I think because the lighter fabric drapes much better.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links- hopefully I can get my collar to work now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. They are great tutorials. Collars are harder than they look but I just followed Gertie's video step by step and it turned out perfect. Hopefully yours will as well.

      Delete
  2. I love what you did with this sorbetto..[This has been the best pattern.. I think everyone has made 3 or 4--- and I see myself making some more this summer]
    I also love that you found fabric that reminds you of your grandma. How very sweet..
    Happy sewing, I just found your blog and am enjoying reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Yeah, I really loved my nana. She loved to sew as well. And happy sewing to you to!!!!

      Delete
  3. This is such a sweet top. I saw your post on Sew Weekly. Personally I love it more than Violet. Your details are perfect and the collar sits so nicely. Thank you for the inspiration. Your choice of fabric is spot on too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  4. This is one of the prettiest Sorbettos I've seen! I love the fabric choice. I have the pattern printed and ready. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...