Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Pale Green Burda Lydia

I had a great Saturday afternoon where I actually managed to escape suburbia for a brief couple of hours and trekked across Sydney to my new favourite place: Sydney Remnant Warehouse.

I did go just a little crazy and stash shopped like a mad-woman, stocking up on a whole heap of 1m lengths of very good quality italian cotton jersey in lots of colours to make a whole series of BurdaStyle Lydia long sleeved T's for this winter/autumn.



First off the rank was this pale green version.  The Lydia I made up in a size 34 but I did taper out to the smallest possible seam allowance at the bottom to cater for my pear shape.   This is such a fast easy project and results in a RTW looking top.  I used my twin needles to do a mock coverstitch to finish the hems and neckline and I am pretty happy with the professional "non homemade" look it gives.

I had some trouble with my twin needles last time I tried it but was able to work out the kinks (it all came down to how I threaded it, on a Janome you treat the two threads as one and thread together down until the little hook thingy just above the needle, the main thread goes in the little hook on the left as normal and threaded through the left needle, the second thread goes into a little hook on the right that I have never noticed before and threaded through the needle on the right) and it worked perfectly this time.

 It was perfectly acceptable when I made it but then I decided it looked boring and so I used this ruffle tutorial and also some ideas for the flower from this one as well to add ruffles:

Ruffled Lydia
My attempt at ruffles lasted less than a day....
After wearing it like this for half the day I decided that the look just wasn't "me" so off they came again, and I am left with a plain basic long sleeved T.  The flower broach was fun to make though.  I have starched it to stiffen it up to help it sit properly and I can use it on its own when I feel "fancyness" is in order.

Adding a bright scarf is more my look I decided.






4 comments :

  1. I think the ruffles looked quite sweet but I know what you mean if you are not happy with it...you probably wouldn't wear it as much.I have got to find this pattern as it looks so useful.
    The remnant place sounds an ideal place to go to ...I think I would be in there all the time and would have to be dragged out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link: http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/lydia, its only $1. I can be so girly girly with what I wear that I just felt the ruffles took it over the edge, but I am going to try them again with the ruffle version of McCalls 6503.

      Delete
  2. Cute top and interesting comment about the ruffles, I want to try some this winter but not sure if they are my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only way to find out is give them a go and see. At least you can always take them off if they dont work for you. I do like ruffles generally, so I am going to try them again with something else, but probably follow a pattern to get the technique and placement right.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...