Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Simplicity 2588 as a skirt

Breaking my habit of sewing using the cheapest of el cheapo fabric from Spotlight, I have finally made something in a better quality fabric that I brought ages ago from Hobbysew.  Its a Moda fabric – Bliss by Bonnie and Camile for Moda pattern 55026.

I decided to make it up yesterday using Simplicity 2588, the flared skirt option, and instead of making a dress (not enough fabric), cutting the belt piece and using it as a waistband instead.  I refered to another skirt pattern with a waistband to get guidance on the whole right over left/left over right confusion I usually have when sewing closures.  The waistband is 2" wide and has a real "belt" look. I interfaced both front and back pieces to make it more sturdy.

Firstly, this fabric was a dream to sew.  100% cotton, but not prone to creasing, beautiful feel and drape, worth every penny.  I would normally never use something so patterned for a skirt, I usually prefer solid colour bottoms and patterned tops so this is a bit of a departure for me.  In honour of Me-Made-May 2012 I decided to lash out.

The pattern was so simple, I love love love the pockets, and concur with other bloggers I have read: once you realise how amazing pockets are you will try to put them in everything.


My other first was pattern matching the back seam and zipper.  I managed to get it almost perfect for the first time, so that was my big thrill for the project.

A close up of the back seam
Back seam and zipper: a vintage one from my stash,
probably inherited from Nana.
Seam finishes throughout
I plan to make a few simple jersey tops to wear tucked in with this skirt.


5 comments :

  1. This is a gorgeous skirt and looks so pretty on.The fabric is a good choice and definitely one that I would go for too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful skirt and you can now make a number of tops and have a different outfit every time. Great pattern matching as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am chuffed about the back seam. One of those garments that turned out exactly as I pictured in my head (which often doesn't happen). Looking forward to making a few Burda Lydia's to match...

      Delete
  3. You and Nana have great taste in fabric and sewing standards.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...