Friday, 20 July 2012

Simplicity 1880 Shirt Dress

 I finally finished my shirt dress today and I am completely chuffed.

A quick shot of the finished dress
I used a floral rose print cotton that I purchased over a year ago from Spotlight and then decided it was too OTT rose print floral so it was lanquishing in my stash.

I initially used it on this pattern thinking purely of it as a wearable muslin, as I hadn't had a chance to go fabric shopping for "proper" fabric.  But once I got it to pinned together stage,  the fabric looks soooo much nicer and I started making an effort.  Its funny how often a fabric looks so different once it is made up, sometimes for the worse, fortunately in this case for the better.

I love this pattern (Simplicity 1880).  I made up a straight size 12 but ended up taking it in to probably a size 10 in the shoulders and bust, grading out to a 12 in the waist and hips.  I did a slight sway back adjustment in the bodice to remove some excess "blousy-ness" (is that a word?) in the back.  Other than that, this pattern needed minimal adjustments.  I cut a size 10 cap sleeve. 

The skirt is very flattering and I can see myself using this skirt pattern alot in other dress patterns.

I finished the hem with a strip of bias binding, handing sewing it on the underside so no topstitching was visible.  I am really happy with this subtle finishing detail.  It took me probably 3 hours to hand sew the hem with an invisible slip stitch.

Will  I make this again? Absolutely.
What would I do differently next time? Cut a size 10 in the shoulders/bust and grade out to a 12/14 in the waist instead of cutting a straight 12.
What changes did I make to the pattern? I changed the collar slightly to make it rounded not pointed and finished the hem with bias binding rather than hemming.

Collar and sleeve close up.
 
I wanted green buttons but couldn't find the right shade
but I am really happy with these.

Bit of a close up of my hem.  I love my hem.
Now I just need some warmer weather to wear it.  I will add some more pretty pictures of me wearing it as soon as I get a chance.

Edit: I changed this dress after a few wears to make it more me - I fixed the skirt drape and also swapped the sleeves.  To read the new post on how the dress looks now, it is here.

9 comments :

  1. I love love love this fabric. Such a gorgeous dress. Great job! How much fun was this sewalong!
    I thought this fabric was OTT but when I saw Sewaholic Cambie I totally changed my mind and like your love for this dress - I adore my Cambie. The fabric is lovely made up and feels fabulous on. I can't wait for summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh what a lovely feminine dress! Beautiful job with the sewing--would love to see it on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely summery dress and the hem detail is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love your dress, especially the hem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is my FAVORITE print of all of the sew-along dresses I've seen. So pretty. Nicely done.
    Wasn't this a great pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Fantastic fabric choice! Very nicely done! Thanks so much for participating! Means so much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the print, the dress and of course, the hem:)
    Thanks for dropping by my blog. You do such elegant work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny that I came across this today. I just posted in my blog about a dress I finished over Christmas that has a fabric SO similar to this one. In the up close pictures, I can tell it's not the same, but from afar, very similar! I like how the dress turned out after the tweaks!!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...