Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Vintage Simplicity 7142 Midi skirt

I have a treasured vintage pattern stash.  Its pretty awesome in fact, dating back to the 1950's, possibly earlier.  What makes this pattern stash even more significant to me is that they are the patterns used and loved by both my beloved grandmother and mother.  I love the fact that I am now making the same patterns they sewed, it makes me feel so connected to them, like some kind of freaky time travel surreal experience in fact.  Its almost as good as having the original dresses and garments they sewed, but which are now sadly long gone, given away years before any of us realised how much I would have loved to have them today.

Vintage Simplicity 7142
This skirt pattern has an amazing history.  It's the original pattern that my mother used in the 70's to make herself some pretty awesome maxi skirts, long lost and gone, but that I remember her wearing as a child.  It's a simple a-line skirt, with a back zipper. It is well drafted and easy to sew, and timeless.

Vintage Simplicity 7142
So, after finding this gorgous mystery fabric in the remnant bin at Pitt Trading last month, I knew it would be perfect for a midi length version of Simplicity 7142.

I added a lining, because I am massively into the lovely feel of a fully lined skirt.
I hand stitched the waistband and the hem. 
Its going to be a staple wardrobe item for this winter and hopefully many winters to come.


Pattern: Vintage Simplicity 7142 = Free
Fabric: A heavy weight tan remnant of unknown content, possibly cotton blend, with a slight stretch from Pitt Trading = @ $1.00 for the piece.  
Lining: A chocolate brown lining from The Remnant Warehouse, Used about 1.5 metres = $2, but will be able to use left overs on another project.
Notions: Invisible zip and thread from Spotlight = about $5 but thread I will use again.

Total cost: Around $8.00.  Not bad for a fully lined skirt.

6 comments :

  1. I love the color and length so much. It's great that this pattern has been in your family for all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I absolutely adore all your sewing and your style so your compliment means alot to me.

      Delete
  2. You have to make the maxi version please! This is a gorgeous skirt and is definitely a classic and it looks so good on you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted this skirt to be a maxi but I couldn't squeeze it out of the fabric remnant.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous skirt and the colour is perfect, enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Its from that fabric remnant I got that day we met up at Pitt Trading. I couldn't get the maxi out of it but I am really happy with how it turned out anyway. And it doesn't crease at all so I am really loving the fabric.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...