Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Simplicity 1872 Chiffon Blouse

 

I fell in love with this Cynthia Rowley pattern ages ago and even had a chiffon in my stash that I knew would be perfect but lacked confidence at tackling the scary fabric.

Blurry photo, darn auto focus...
 Well, I did it!!

This is by far the most technically challenging thing I have made so far.  This pattern itself is easy and a delight to sew but the chiffon added a whole other level.

I made View A in a Size 6, even though I measured at a size 12, this pattern has 6" of ease!!! As I am small busted and it has an open neckline I knew I could safely size down for a less "swimming on me" look, although I think I went a little too far and next time I will cut an 8 or even a 10,  depending on the fabric.

The only change I made to the pattern was to extend the sleeve ties about 1.5" as a few people on PatternReview mentioned they found them a bit short.  Shockingly, I made NO OTHER ALTERATIONS at all to this pattern.  None. Zip. So exciting to not spend hours on the fit.  Consequently this project was quick, and sewed up fast.  

My firsts on this project:

  • First time all seam finishes were french seamed.  This top can be worn inside out , the inside looks lovely. :-)
  • First time sewing with chiffon!!
Interesting sleeves.
It's just pinned here but I've since added a
clear press studd to hold the front closed.
 I am wearing this blouse with my new Burda Jenny Skirt.

13 comments :

  1. What a wonderful blouse! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your review on PatternReview.com. Great review. The blouse is lovely and looks great on you. I am curious - how did you finish the hems at the hemline and on the sleeves? They don't look serged. Did you hand roll or did you use a rolled hem presser foot? Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleeves are fully faced so no hemming there, just a good press. The hem I experimented with a rolled hem foot and a rolled serged hem but wasn't happy with the result so I did the hem according to the pattern instructions, which was turn under 1/4", stitch, trim close to stitching, turn under again 1/8" and stitch I think the carefull pressing is what gave a good result, as I pressed at each step. It looks a lot neater than trying to do the double hem at once. And thank you!

      Delete
  3. It looks beautiful! Any tips on seeing with chiffon? I have some in my stash as well that I'm afraid to use...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This list was useful http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/qa/aaqa0800a.htm. I used a 70/10 needle, I found that I needed to hold firmly onto the fabric as I sewed (almost stretching it a little) to prevent puckering/gathering of the fabric. Plus careful pressing at every step. And next time I sew with chiffon I will use a full 1" seam allowance - I found I got a better result when there was enough fabric at the seam allowance so it didn't want to get eaten by the machine.

      Delete
  4. It is so pretty and you have done such a good job. Your hems look really good and they can not have been easy. What did you find helped with sewing the chiffon ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This list was useful http://sewing.about.com/library/sewnews/qa/aaqa0800a.htm. I used a 70/10 needle, I found that I needed to hold firmly onto the fabric as I sewed (almost stretching it a little) to prevent puckering/gathering of the fabric. Plus careful pressing at every step. And next time I sew with chiffon I will use a full 1" seam allowance - I found I got a better result when there was enough fabric at the seam allowance so it didn't want to get eaten by the machine. And thank you very much for your kind comment.

      Delete
  5. Ypour blouse is amazing. I think I'm going to get that pattern. What type of sewing machine do you have though? The blouse looks so professional

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! I just have a Janome QC6260 which is a mid range domestic computerised model. Nothing very fancy. It's a good machine though, I'm very happy with it. I am so chuffed you think my blouse looks professional! That is the ULTIMATE compliment. My secret is pressing slowly and carefully at every step. :-)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous blouse and I'd be careful about going up too many sizes as this one looks very good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your top - it is so pretty and looks great on you. Great job. I am off to check out the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, your top is so pretty. I just started learning to sew about a month ago and I bought this pattern. I was inspired by your top to make my own but the sleeves are kicking my a**. Any tips or advise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Racheal. Thank you so much. Mmmm. The sleeves I remember I just really followed the step by step instructions, I found them ok. Sometimes things make more sense after taking a break and revisiting when less tired. (I start making mistakes after 10pm personally :-) It is important to make sure markings are accurately transfered to fabric, esp the circles as they show where to start/stop sewing. If you can give a bit more info as to what problems you are having putting the sleeves together I'll try to help you out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...