Sunday, 16 December 2012

Stash busting gifts

I found this very good free online tutorial for a zippered makeup bag over at Flossie Teacakes and then I found and immediately signed up for this free craftsy class for a slightly different style of zippered bag.

The result, of course, has been a total frenzy for making bags - its such a great gift idea and also as they can be made in virtually any size, a great way of using all those random fabric scraps that I can't bear to throw out.

This is the first one - the last time I made a zippered bag was in
high school which I worked out was about 25 years ago.



Then I went a little crazy and made a whole bunch of end of year teacher appreciation and such like gifts.


Left over fabric from my Peony dress



A little boy pencil case


And finally, the Craftsy class produced this lovely little zippered pouch.

The leftover fabric from my Simplicity 2588 Skirt

Now I don't get "crafty" very often so this was rather fun.  They took about 15 - 20 mins per bag and considering how appallingly expensive kids pencil cases are, I love that I can whip up a couple as needed for Olivia and her friends for the cost of a zipper.  Also, a girl can never have too many makeup/doo-dad bags so I know I can happily churn these out for friends. And because they are easy and cheap I won't feel bitter (loved this post BTW, made me laugh and I completely relate) if they are not liked/appreciated.  Its a win/win!


6 comments :

  1. I can think of at least 5 uses for these little lovelies...never can have enough zippered bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I think they make a great gift and everyone always needs some extra storage, especially when its so pretty!
    I've made a few for gifts out of scraps too. Theyre so easy to customise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all gorgeous - especially the bright red zip and gorgeous floral fabric of the last one! Some very lucky teachers I think :) Such a great way to use fabric... and goodness knows I need a new toiletry tote. Inspired - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're really pretty. Thanks for the link to Flossie Teacakes. Your bags are much better made than I've done.
    I do agree they take very little time to make for such a useful and pretty outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely bags and as you say great gifts as well. Thank you for the Flossie Teacakes link, the zip finish is very nice.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...