Monday, 18 February 2013

Liebster Blog Award and a move

I received the Liebster Blog Award twice this last week.  First from Grace from Hand Made Gem and then by Ashley from Craft Sanctuary

I am always rather astonished that anyone other than my mum reads my blog so this was a sweet  surprise and I am very appreciative to be, well, appreciated.  So thank you

The "rules" of the award state:
  1. Link back to the blogger who awarded them and thank them (check, see above)
  2. Write 11 random facts about yourself (see below, check)
  3. Answer 11 questions asked by the bloger who nominated you (see below, check)
  4. Nominate 11 new blogs and ask them 11 new questions (11 blogs!! 11 questions!! My tiny window of time narrows and I really, really don't have time to pore through my list of blogs, find the ones that have less than 200 followers, email them all to let them know they have been nominated, etc, etc, etc, 11 times!!!!  Plus what about the ones I miss/leave outPerhaps that means that I accept the award "honorarily".  I'm not sure.  I'm all too new to blogging, and at the end of the day, its all just a bit of fun, I'm sure its not meant to cause a stress/anxiety attack.  Please forgive me if I pass on this part of the award )  
This helpful post discussed this award and its history and various versions here.

The questions (and my answers) from Grace are:

1. What’s the best book you’ve read in the past few months? 
Not including all the sewing books I regularly pore over, I read "The Boy who Loved Apples", a mother's story about her son's battle with anorexia.  It was really good.
2. Who is your favorite actor or actress?
I don't have one.
3. What’s your favorite thing you’ve made, cooked or baked in the past few months?
Whatever I made last is pretty much my favourite.  I am easily pleased and rather fickle as to the whole 'favourite' thing.
4. What’s the most special piece of clothing you own? Why do you love it?
I am not really attached to anything.  I have some heirloom pieces of fabric and lace inherited from my grandmother that I really like, but there is nothing I would rush back into a burning building for.
5. Do you have any family heirlooms?
I do, but see Question 4.
6. What do you do to relax?
Probably do my blog reading.  I have my phone on hand and I really like to sit down with a cup of (home roasted) espresso coffee, black, no sugar, and read my blogroll.
7. What’s your ideal/ fantasy vacation?
Before children I would say a multi-day hike in some beautiful wilderness carrying everything on my back.  Actually, I would love to do that now but sadly it is a fantasy as I have some physical limitations that mean carrying heavy loads and long walks are a problem for me.  One day, maybe.  
8. Have you made any new family or personal traditions recently?
Nope, nothing new. 
9. What’s your favorite creative outlet?
Sewing or crochet.
10. What’s one aspect of yourself that makes you really proud?
I stood yesterday, I can stand today. (Dorothy Dix).  Plus I am a fast learner.  This is useful.
11. If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?
Exactly what I am doing right now is ok with me.  

And the questions (and my answers) from Ashley are:

1.  Do you have a favorite pattern? (Sewing, knitting, crochet, whatever.)
I am still too new to sewing to have a favourite pattern.  Crochet I usually do something my own design or so heavily modified it bears no resemblance to the original pattern.  But I am pretty fond of the Miz Mozelle dress pattern and I also like the Simplicity 1880 shirtdress with the modified skirt, I'll probably make both those again.
2.  What was the last thing you made? 
A Sewingcake.com Tiramisu dress.
3.  What is your favorite print? (dots, stripes, floral)  Or, do you like solids better? If you like solids, what's your favorite color? 
I really like polka dots and florals, but also love a good solid, they are more practical and versatile.   I love navy and vivid green, like a Kelly green.
4.  What is a typical day like for you?
Kids, chaos, school run, chaos, cleaning, laundry, more laundry, various work (at home, on computer, rather techy), school run, cooking, more cooking, oh, and sewing or crochet any spare moment I get.  Very boring, actually.
5.  Where is your favorite place?
A mountain top looking upon distance is pretty good.  
6.  What do you do when you're feeling down?
Crochet.  Its so zen and is my meditation.  Also, Prayer.
7.  What is your crafting space like?
I have been sewing squeezed into a corner in the lounge room, but just this week I am moving I have moved into the spare room.  Its awesome.
8.  Which blogs do you look to for inspiration?
Look to the right.  I read ALOT of blogs and they all inspire and encourage for different reasons.
9.  Would you rather live by the sea or the mountains?
I am a mountain girl.  I was born and raised at Fitzroy Falls, NSW and it has left me with a deep love of the mountains.
10. What's your favorite meal?
Simple clean food, with great flavours and textures make me happy.  Also, I am a huge fan of anything I haven't had to cook myself. 
11. What makes you happier than anything else?
My favourite poet Khalil Gibran says it best "For in the dew of little things, the heart finds its morning, and is refreshed."  

OK, so if all that above is not enough and for anyone still reading, here are 8 random facts about me, I'm just not that interesting I couldn't think of 11:

1. I planned to never marry or have children.  It is a source of continual shock and amusement/bewilderment to me that I am both married and have two children. 
2. I was raised on a goat farm in rural NSW and know how to hand milk a goat.  At some point I am hoping this skill will come in handy for me.
3. When I was a teenager I got obsessed with spinning and learnt how to spin my own wool.  I sold my spinning wheel years ago though but I probably could still do it. 
4. I started a website a few years back called Grain Free Living, where I write and blog about eating a gluten free and grain free diet.  It (the diet, not the website) has helped my husband recover from severe crohn's disease.  Its the number one google website for a number of search terms related to being grain free.
5. I have a collection of 100+ year old poetry books. By collection I mean about 20 books.  They are nice though. 
6. You will never, ever, ever see me in shorts.
7. For those who know about the Myers Brigg Temperament Indicator Test - I am an INFJ.
8.  I make my own Kefir.  Its really cool and somewhat freaky how the grains ferment overnight to make the milk turn into yoghurt. Its very good for gut problems.


Oh, and the move bit? Well, I mentioned it up above, but I have moved my sewing area from a rather messy corner of what was supposed to be our lounge room, into our spare bedroomWe decided that my hobby was not a passing phase and that the need for a proper space outweighed the few times per year that we have visitors staying.  This move resulted in a complete reorganisation of the whole house as the room I took was being used by the 2 year old.  So 6 year old got moved to the large spare room (she is in bliss, she really needed the extra space), the 2 year old got moved into the 6 year olds bedroom and I moved into the 2 year olds old bedroom.  Everyone rotate to the right. Phew.  I'm exhausted and feel like I have moved house, but am very glad that anyone coming to the house isn't assaulted by my sewing mess and I no longer have to stress about sticky fingers or faces finding their way onto my fabric, or pins and scissors disturbingly going missing and turning up in dangerous locations.  

Next up:  my finally finished Tiramisu #2 (sneak peak here) and I get to start on the Couture Dress project.
  
 

9 comments:

  1. Phil and Yana Riethmuller5:12 pm, February 18, 2013

    Congrats on the award. Its pretty involved, totally understand why you passed on the last bit. Its very interesting though, I enjoyed reading more about you. Home roasted coffee sounds good (I love coffee). Congrats on getting your own sewing space. Look forward to seeing your second Tiramisu and the beginnings of the Couture dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, congratulations on the blogging award. It was lovely to read more about you and to get to know the girl behind 'SewHopeful'. I recently moved out of a small corner in my study that I used for sewing and into my guest bedroom. I too weighed up the use of the guest room and my sewing addiction and the sewing addiction won!!!! I am so pleased I made the move and I am so much more productive. I just need a cutting table which will be resolved with a trip to Ikea. I also love the mountains having grown up in the South Island of NZ and I miss them more than anything else in NZ. Hiking is one of my other passions in life. I am going to look forward to seeing your next Tiramisu; your fabric is so pretty. I am yet to make another Tira but will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interested that you like kefir - not many folk do! I've recently had to give up dairy, and was delighted to discover kefir made with tinned coconut milk is equally yummy... I just used the same grains.


    Also delighted to find your grain free living site.... I have omitted grains from my diet since early Dec and am doing fine, but more insipiration is ALWAYS a good thing.


    Now a sewing room...... that is something I must wangle. (Thinking of persuading eldest offspring to relinquish "his" room.... afterall he hasn't lived at home for some time now! He he...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your awards! My husband built a sewing desk for me in our guest room this past fall. Nothing beats a dedicated space! I love the color combo on your second tira and the fit looks perfect. The bodice on my tira is a little low so I think I'll try your alterations on my next one. I've signed up for the couture dress class too but haven't started it yet. I keep getting sidetracked by other projects. Are you doing Steph's Pavlova sewalong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much. Yes, I feel I will be so much more productive this way. I loved the mountains of NZ so much. Before I fell pregnant with my first daughter we were planning to do the Milford Track. One day when my health is better and the kids are older we still would like to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Yes, I am excited about the Couture Dress now that I have the fabric for it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely should wrangle for your sewing room.



    And kefir with coconut milk is on my list to try. Now that I have healthy grains I can experiment with different types. Its so fun.


    Glad you liked my Grain Free Living site. Its my other passion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for you on Craftsy, hopefully we will bump into each other in the Couture dress "classroom".


    I missed out on the Pavlova presale and now I am uming and ahhing over the $17 pattern price when I have soooooo many other projects on the boil. So I don't think I will do the sewalong this time, even though I would love to. That being said, if I am on my phone late at night and happen to stumble onto the etsy Pavlova page I have been known to make impulsive purchases under those conditions..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally had some time to look up your Grain Free Living website. My husband and I found Mark's Daily Apple last fall and have been trying to follow a primal diet and exercise plan (I will admit that he's so much better than me on following through on the exercise portion of the plan). Now I can follow your website as well for additional info. I'm so glad you posted about it!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...