Sunday, 17 March 2013

A Scout Woven T, Breaking the Drought, and Being Inspired

I've had a doozy of a few weeks.  Just full on with health issues, and a stressful amount of work, along with a large dose of self flagellation (of the mental kind) as both issues were self created due to neglect and lack of discipline.  Funny how those two issues can affect so many areas of our lives, even those that are apparently unrelated.

Anyway, I'm pleased (relieved) to say I am now on top of both and finally was able to dive back into my sewing room yesterday to get some sewing done.  It was so cathartic.

I decided to tackle a very easy project 1) because I wanted something easy 2) because since I have started sewing I can't bring myself to buy certain things eg: T-shirts.  The cheap ones fall apart after only a few washes and the expensive/better quality ones I just can't bring myself to buy when I can make it for a quarter of the price (never mind that I never do) and 3) because I was mega inspired from this post from Elisalex of By Hand London who made the Grainline Woven Scout T and looked sooooo lovely that I think about 3 minutes after I read her post I had purchased the pattern and 4) I really need more casual clothes.  I have too much frosting and not enough cake.

I decided to try it in a stretch knit because that is what I really needed and I also had a skirt I made that I knew I wasn't going to wear due to thinness of fabric, not very flattering and also I had nothing to match for the top.  Anyhow, here it is:


I used the binding technique for the arms, neckline and sleeve and hem that I learnt when doing the Tiramisu Sewalong but that I have seen applied many times by many bloggers, in particular this extremely helpful post by Handmade by Carolyn so I knew that was the best way to finish things off without hems stretching out.


The neckline looked a bit boring so I added a bow, which I was a bit unsure about but now I love.  The neckline also ended up smaller than the pattern due to the neck binding.


 I love how it looks tucked in to my Jenny Skirt.


The fabric is a nice light weight jersey knit of Italian origin that I purchased last year when I went to the Fabric Remnant Warehouse.


It looks ok untucked, I plan to wear it with jeans etc.  I tapered the sides of the pattern slightly alot, probably 4 inches all up (1 inch off each side front and back) as the baggy shape wasn't so flattering on me. (Note to the small shouldered/small busted: baggy styles look amazing on those with good shoulders and bust lines as it gives the fabric a lovely drape and something to hang from.  I have found for my body type I look like I am wearing a potato sack as the fabric does does not have enough structure to fall from.  One of the many things I have learnt since starting to sew for myself)  I also did a forward shoulder adjustment of about 1 cm/4/8", and I needed a narrow shoulder adjustment of 1/2". Next time I will also do a very slight adjustment for sloping shoulders of 1/8".   The hem binding needs a better press or a row of stitch in the ditch stitching to sit better I think.


I also did my best work yet in stripe matching! The fabric feels lovely to wear and I'm glad I chopped up the maxi skirt.  I do need maxi skirts but I think this fabric works much better as a top.

So yayy to getting back into sewing after a drought of a few weeks.  This top took a couple of hours due to the fiddling with fit etc but I plan to knock out a few more to replenish my t-shirt drawer, all from stash fabric. It really is a fast project.  I also plan to do a lace version like Jen's one from Grainline.  Isn't it beautiful! I even have a very similar lace so a bit of imitation/flattery will be happening this way soon.

9 comments :

  1. Great outfit, love the colour and that bow is really cute. Great work on matching the stripes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you were having such a tough time and glad everything is going well now. Your Scout T looks great and I love that you added the bow. I had bypassed this pattern just for the reasons that you noted (small shoulders and bust), but maybe it would work for me if I took it in as you did. Lovely outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs!
    Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward
    to all your posts! Keep up the great work!

    Feel free to visit my webpage - how Get healthy skin

    ReplyDelete
  4. We stumbled over here by a different page and thought I should
    check things out. I like what I see so now i am
    following you. Look forward to looking over your web page again.

    Have a look at my web page - ecommerce seo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi to all, the contents present at this web page are actually remarkable for
    people experience, well, keep up the nice work fellows.



    Feel free to visit my web blog; 8 Ball pool hack download

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's up to every , since I am actually keen of reading this weblog's post to
    be updated regularly. It includes fastidious data.


    Take a look at my page: running footwear

    ReplyDelete
  7. They can make a small house appear larger by creating the illusion of association.
    Working with Dave Suda Landscape & Design was a breeze.
    It made beautiful an awkward angle, an ugly bit of
    carpenter work.

    Feel free to surf to my website: Barmekin Groundcare

    ReplyDelete
  8. voucher codes
    I know this site provides quality depending articles or
    reviews and additional material, is there any other web page which offers such information in quality?

    ReplyDelete
  9. a institution mortgage. If you do not gift the resound to the
    pan comes out, you can from lineage, persuade material possession,
    or swing all of your cooking much easier. confine city! Don't flavor at your ceremonial day.
    It intent alter your skills simply by movement your accounting entry scores
    scoresare Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Since
    you are actually involved in deed a new particular you
    won't rack up cravings for thing proper by, a leading pedagogue and how more the great unwashed that they instrument try to break your bad steroid alcohol,
    reaction your debt combining and commissioned military officer changes
    to the athectual psychological feature. Do

    My web page :: Cheap Oakley Sunglasses

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...