Despite lack of sleep and general feeling of impending middle age (I turned 42 this month, ack), I...11:30:00 a.m.
A study in stripes - Tiramisu Peplum Top and some T's
Despite lack of sleep and general feeling of impending middle age (I turned 42 this month, ack), I have been sewing like a mad women this week, doing some "I am a mother of young children and can't live in heels and a perpetual state of glamorous dress, as much as I would like to, so lets make a bunch of practical T-shirts" sewing.
Anyhow, after wetting my jersey-sewing-t-shirt-making feet with the green stripe T last week, I made a few more. Even better, I was stashbusting a heap of jersey fabrics I have had since May last year, I've used three different fabrics from stash, woo hoo.
The dress I was feeling very meh about, the fabric just didn't work for me as a dress plus the waistband wasn't holding/sitting well due to thinness of fabric: once the skirt was attached I didn't like how the stripes looked. So after glaring at it hanging in my sewing room for a few weeks out came the scissors and I chopped off the skirt, leaving me with a 10" peplum graduating down to 11" at the back. Once I did the hem I think it ended up being about 8" - 9" in length.
I do plan to make another one of these. Or more. I think as a top I will get way more wear than a dress and I love the fancier than a T-shirt look while it still being just as easy and comfortable as one.
Next up I looked at the cut off skirt section of the Tiramisu and it just felt WRONG to let that fabric go to waste. The fabric is lovely quality cotton jersey from the ebay store Fabric Warehouse, however I paid almost $30 for it including shipping so making a second top halves my cost per item and makes my stingy scrooge persona happy.
The skirt length was too short to make a full T-shirt so I added a chevron yoke using the scraps of fabric I had left.
Its just a very ordinary T-shirt but those chevrons and yoke plus working out how to make use of my scraps took some doing. I got some great help via twitter from sewing buddies Lena and Gabrielle while I was trying to figure out how to make it work. So awesome to have help and second opinions from experienced sewists mid project.
I used fusible stay tape for the hems and I used a twin needle to topstitch the yoke and neckline and hems. The stripe matching at the back of the sleeves to the yoke is a TOTAL accident. I had barely any fabric and not much choice as to where I could place the pieces so Yayy.
I was toying with idea of adding a lace yoke but decided the lace deserved something more than a pieced together offcut base so I am currently eyeing off some jersey on Fabric.com to bring that idea to fruition.
Finally, I used some more jersey from the Remnant Warehouse I purchased last year to make another basic T. This one is drafted off one of my RTW T's that I liked the fit of (same pattern as for the chevron T) and my first attempt at copying a RTW garment.