I made this to test my fitting adjustments to get the Cake Patterns kimono sleeve sloper to actually fit my very small forward sloping shoulders and small bust without having a side seam at a 45 degree angle and wierd wrinkles from the armpits up.
I used a not very stretchy knit (it looks like that knit that is used for polo shirts - sorry I don't know its "proper"name), that I got on a Spotlight trip, mainly because I just love this colour. As the last time I did these adjustments I used a super-stretchy knit I wanted to see how my adjustments would work in a totally different knit fabric - and it does.
The changes I made to this top was to add a hem band to match the cuffs. I also left off the front collar and was planning on having a plain back. That was before I cut the back neck binding out of my back main pieces. Oh yes. It was late at night and I was looking for some scraps to cut the bindings and the back pieces do look a bit strange - they are cut on the bias and not a usual shape (that's my excuse anyway). As usual I am making this out of way less than the actual required yardage so I didn't have much to work with. I was left with this mutilated top and no extra fabric to recut the back.
I made a "patch" and quickly sewed it on, purely so I could at least test the fit. When I tried it on I went "hey, that looks like a collar". Cool. Very serendipitous. So I neatened it up and then added a bow (to hide a slightly messy join).
And now I have a wearable top. As with most things I make, this pattern will be lovely in a better quality fabric but in the meantime I've enjoyed the process of going from not happy to happy with the fit for this particular type of garment, and I quite like my back collar and bow too.
|Click to view large size photo if you would like to see my back wrinkles in all their glory|