Its a simple cotton and not the lovely cotton sateen I was after, not quite the right roses I was craving but at only $7.50/m it was an acceptable compromise, so I ordered 3 metres. I decided to make it into a simple cotton dress for summer and used Simplicity 2444, the sleeveless view.
|Ooohhh, pattern matching..... The back worked out the front not so good though but passable.|
I removed a significant wedge from the front neckline - over 3" or 8 cm and just over 2"from the back. I used a different method from the last time I made this dress and this worked much better. The fit at the neckline feels really good.
I'll try to take a photo of the modified pattern piece and post it soon as I think it will be helpful - nearly everyone who makes this dress has excess fabric at the front and there are plenty of verbal descriptions of removing excess fabric but nothing showing the method I used which also adjusts for a small bust.
As I did my best to pattern match I used all of my 3 metres of 115 cm wide fabric with just scraps to spare. I am really happy with the finish on the armholes using a self made bias strip as the facing (as per the pattern). It looks so neat I used the same finish for the neckline instead of the neck facing pieces.
So there we have it, my first make of 2014. One of the things I am attempting to do this year is to make multiple makes of the same pattern to get some value over all the time that I spend on fitting and adjusting a pattern. The inspiration for this is Roisin of Dolly Clackett fame (who despite being massively younger than me I absolutely LOVE her style and I want her entire shoe collection) and Gillian from Crafting a Rainbow, who both make multiple versions of the same make.
I couldn't speak more highly of the team at Rathdowne Fabrics and Remnants. Thanks for my lovely fabric ladies!