Sunday, 5 January 2014

Simplicity 2444 Roses Dress

A few weeks back a saw this dress over on Leisl's Blog. Its Butterick 6582 in a gorgeous stretch cotton sateen from Rathdowne Fabrics and Remnants. Go and have a look, if you haven't seen it already.  It is just beautiful.  Within about 30 seconds after reading that blog post I was on the phone to Rathdowne Fabrics and Remnants BEGGING them for that fabric.  I've been on the look out for ages for exactly that fabric - black background, large red roses.   Sadly, it was not to be, they were sold out.  (SOB).  However, the customer service there is fabulous and Sandra looked around for something similar and soon sent me an email with a couple of options, including this one:


Its a simple cotton and not the lovely cotton sateen I was after, not quite the right roses I was craving but at only $7.50/m it was an acceptable compromise, so I ordered 3 metres.  I decided to make it into a simple cotton dress for summer and used Simplicity 2444, the sleeveless view.

Simplicity 2444 Roses

Simplicity 2444 Roses
Ooohhh, pattern matching..... The back worked out the front not so good though but passable.

I removed a significant wedge from the front neckline - over 3" or 8 cm and just over 2"from the back.   I used a different method from the last time  I made this dress and this worked much better.  The fit at the neckline feels really good.

I'll try to take a photo of the modified pattern piece and post it soon as I think it will be helpful - nearly everyone who makes this dress has excess fabric at the front and there are plenty of verbal descriptions of removing excess fabric but nothing showing the method I used which also adjusts for a small bust.

Simplicity 2444 Roses

As I did my best to pattern match I used all of my 3 metres of 115 cm wide fabric with just scraps to spare. I am really happy with the finish on the armholes using a self made bias strip as the facing (as per the pattern). It looks so neat I used the same finish for the neckline instead of the neck facing pieces.

Simplicity 2444 Roses

So there we have it, my first make of 2014.  One of the things  I am attempting to do this year is to make multiple makes of the same pattern to get some value over all the time that I spend on fitting and adjusting a pattern.  The inspiration for this is Roisin of Dolly Clackett fame (who despite being massively younger than me I absolutely LOVE her style and I want her entire shoe collection) and Gillian from Crafting a Rainbow, who both make multiple versions of the same make.

I couldn't speak more highly of the team at Rathdowne Fabrics and Remnants.  Thanks for my lovely fabric ladies! 

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! The fit is wonderful and I'd love to see your adjusted pattern pieces and/or how you adjusted. You always do such great fitting adjustments and I'd love to learn more. Very, very pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is so pretty and the fit looks spot on. I love roses too...so romantic. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, VERY pretty! I have fabric similar to this and have it slated for a Sewaholic Cambie. This pattern is also very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! I actually prefer this fabric to the one you originally wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely lovely. I can see why you wanted such beautiful fabric. Love the red roses on the black background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this would have been great as a Cambie. I really need to make that one next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowsers! This is so lovely! We should have a meet up wearing our fabulous roses dresses ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous dress and it suits you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey thanks Leisl. Its a shame I'm in Sydney not Melbourne or we could totally do it. Maybe if I get myself down south someday...I'm still craving a floral print cotton sateen though...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sharon. Not a patch on your AMAZING Chanel style jacket though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks. I still want a floral cotton sateen though. Keeping my eye out. Its a chore but I'm up to the task. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much Jillian. I need to clean up my sewing room first so I can find thepattern pieces. Its chaos in there. Too much sewing and no cleaning up between projects going on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not surprised you chased after that fabric... it was gorgeous! But this is just as stunning, and so well suited to you - the ideal floral! Love the dress. I don't usually remember pattern numbers, but Simplicity 2444 seems to be everywhere at the moment. It's obviously a winner of a pattern!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...